Octave Chanute 1896 Glider (replica)
This replica of Octave Chanute's 1896 biplane glider was built by museum volunteers Anton Bilek and Richard Clark here at the museum. Chanute's original was the forerunner of the modern hang-glider. The "pilot" hung by his armpits from the wooden supports beneath the lower wing, throwing his weight from side to side to steer the craft. The aircraft featured Chanute's square-truss design, first employed in railroad bridge construction and later used by the Wright brothers on their 1903 Flyer.