Serial Number 41-17372
The North American AT-6 Texan was one of the most widely used advanced pilot trainers of World War II. AT-6 production began in 1939 and continued until 1944. The AT-6 was a modern cantilever monoplane that incorporated the complexities of a fighter into the relative stability of a trainer. As World War II intensified, so did the demand for the AT-6. The Texan was quickly tasked with new training missions, such as gunnery, navigation, and reconnaissance. After World War II, the AT-6 was retasked for the Korean War, flying 40,354 “Mosquito Missions” to spot and mark enemy targets. In the mid-1950s, AT-6s were assigned to National Guard units before retirement. Today, many AT-6 variants are flown by civilians, a “Warbird” favorite at air shows and fly-ins.
Manufactured by North American Aviation, Dallas TX and received by the USAAF on 27 May 1942.
May 1942 --To AAF Single-Engine Flying Training School (Air Training Command), Luke AAF AZ
Apr 1944 --To 3026th AAF Base Unit (Single-Engine Advanced Pilot School, ATC), Mercer AAF CA
Jun 1944 -- To 3008th AAF Base Unit (Technical School, ATC), Minter AAF CA
Oct 1945 -- To Ontario CA and disposed as surplus
|Wingspan:||42 ft. 0 in.|
|Length:||29 ft 0 in|
|Height:||11 ft. 8 in.|
|Wing Area:||253.7 sq. ft.|
|Weight:||empty: 4,158 lb, loaded max. 5,617 lb|
|Speed:||Cruise-145 mph.; Max-208 mph. @ 5,000 ft.|
|Service Ceiling:||24,200 ft.|
|Engine:||Pratt & Whitney R-1340|
|Engines:||1-Pratt & Whitney R-1340 Wasp radial (600 h.p.)|
|Armament:||None; could be modified with up to three
.30 calo, Machine guns and wing pylons.
This aircraft is on loan to the Chanute Air Museum from the National Museum of the United States Air Force.