Although designed to be a long-range bomber escort, the F-101 was not needed in that role when it went into production. Its mission was changed to tactical and air defense. The first Voodoo flew in September 1954 and the first production A models were operational in 1957. The F-101B was produced later as a two seat all-weather interceptor used by the Air Defense Command. Pratt & Whitney J57-P-55 engines replaced the standard engines. The afterburners were extended with eight feet beyond the end of the fuselage. The F-101B was equipped with a Hughes MC-13 fire control radar in the nose. Four AIM-4 air-to-air missiles were carried on a rotating pallet in the fuselage weapons bay. A total of 479 F-101 B’s were delivered by the end of 1961.
Manufactured by McDonnell Aircraft, St Louis, MO and delivered to the Air Force on 18 Dec. 1958
Dec. 1958 -- To 4756th Air Defense Wing (Air Defense Command), Tyndall AFB, FL.
Feb. 1968 -- To 3345th Maintenance and Supply Group (Air Training Command, Chanute Air Force Base (to GF-101B).
Oct. 1975 -- To Chanute Technical Training Center (ATC), Chanute AFB.
Dec. 1984 -- Dropped from inventory by transfer to Museum status.
|Wingspan||39 ft. 8 in.|
|Length:||67 ft. 5 in.|
|Wing Area:||368 sq. ft.|
|Weight:||28,970 lb,; max. 52,400|
|Speed:||Cruise - 551 mph.; Max - 1,134 mph.|
|Engine:||2 - Pratt & Whitney J57-P-55 (52,400 lbs. thrust each)|
|Fuel:||2,953 gal. max|
|Armament:||4 - AIM-4 Air-to-air missles, or 2 - AIR-2 Genie nuclear rockets and 2 - AI<-4 Falcon|
This aircraft is on loan to Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum from the National Museum of the United States Airforce.