pure garcinia cambogia

bad credit loans

seo services

Pratt & Whitney R-4360

facebookfacebook

Our Mission

The Chanute Air Museum is dedicated to collect, preserve, exhibit, and interpret aviation and aerospace artifacts. Special emphasis is directed to the life and accomplishments of Octave Chanute, the former Chanute Air Force Base and its technical training programs, and the history of Illinois aviation.

Click for Raffle Information

Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major Radial

    

The R-4360 was a 28-cylinder air-cooled reciprocating radial engine developed during the latter part of World War II. It was the most advanced and complex reciprocating aircraft engine ever produced in significant numbers in the United States. With a displacement of 4,360 cubic inches, the engine generated 3,500 horsepower at a maximum of 2,700 RPM. It weighed just over 3,400 pounds.

One Boeing B-29 was modified to accept the R-4360 late in World War II. This prototype was designated XB-44 and was planned for production as the B-29D, but the end of the war led to the cancellation of that contract. A new
production order was issued late in 1945 for the Boeing B-50A, a modified B-29 airframe fitted with four R-4360 radials. Other USAF aircraft powered by the R-4360 included the Convair B-36 Peacemaker, the Douglas C-74 Globemaster, the Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter/KC-97 Stratotanker, the Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar, and the Douglas C-124 Globemaster II. The last example of the R-4360 left the Air Force inventory in the late 1970s.

This R-4360 trainer was created by the Training Aids Department of the Chanute Technical Training Center for use on base in training aircraft mechanics. It is a "cutaway" trainer, showing the internal workings of the engine while in simulated operation.

This engine is on loan to Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum from the National Museum of the United States Airforce