The C-97 was based on the B-29 Super Fortress
of World War II. The B-29, was known for its speed, payload,
and long range capability. After the war, the B-29 was re-engined
with powerful Pratt & Whitney R-4360, 28 cylinder, radial
engines. This bomber was known as the B-50.
The event of World War II revealed that transportation of
supplies would become as major a factor in victory as individual
fighting tactics. A second fuselage was built underneath the
normal fuselage to hold more freight.
Many C-97s were adapted to the tanker role. They were designated
KC-97s. The KC-97 fed fuel, in flight to other aircraft. Long
range was necessary in the "Cold War" era of the
1950's in order to extende the range of bombers and fighters.
This C-97G, S/N 52-898, was originally received by the Air
Force as a KC-97G-23-BO.
This aircraft is on loan to Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum
from the National Museum of the United States Airforce.